Catholic Standard and Times records, 1909-1941 (MC 27)

The Catholic Standard was first published on January 6, 1866 as the official organ of the Diocese of Philadelphia. The Catholic Times first appeared on December 3, 1892. The two papers merged at the end of November 1895 and the first issue of The Catholic Standard and Times was published on December 7, 1895. This paper continues to be published today as the official newspaper of the Archdiocese of Philadelphia.

The collection includes correspondence documenting the business activities and development of the newspaper.

6 boxes,  2.4 linear ft.

Catholic University of America records, 1947-1955 (MC 35)

The majority of the collection is minutes as well as reports of the minutes of Board of Trustee meetings, financial committee materials, and materials concerning the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception.

2 boxes, 0.8 linear ft.

David Lynch papers, 1830-1875 (MC 13)

David Lynch (1793-1860) was an active member of the Democratic Party in Pennsylvania in the mid-19th century and a friend and supporter of President James Buchanan. Appearing to have been politically well-connected, Lynch was granted an auctioneer’s license for the state of Pennsylvania by then Governor George Wolf. Lynch was also appointed Post Master of Pittsburgh. He held this position from 1833-1840.

The bulk of this small collection is comprised of Lynch’s correspondence with other politically active Pennsylvanians and includes letters between Lynch and James Buchanan. Also included are personal papers, pamphlets, religious ephemera, newspaper clippings, photos, and engravings.

0.2 linear ft., 1 box

*Materials in this collection have been digitized and can be viewed at the Digital Library @ Villanova University.

View Finding aid (HTML)

Edward F. Hawks papers, 1900-1952 (MC 15)

Edward F. Hawks (1878-1955) was one of several Episcopalian priests who converted to the Catholic faith in 1908, one year after the Episcopalian Church altered its canon law allowing non-Episcopalians to preach before its congregations. Hawks had been a member of the Companions of the Holy Saviour, a group founded in Philadelphia by Father William McGarvey, which promoted a more Catholic understanding of the Episcopal Church.

After converting, Hawks left his home in Canada and became a priest in the Archdiocese of Philadelphia, where he served for several years as a parish curate. During World War I, he served as a chaplain in the Canadian army. When he returned to Philadelphia in 1919, he established St. Joan of Arc parish, where he remained until his death.  He was also the founder of the Catholic Evidence Guild, an organization designed to attract converts and lapsed Catholics.

Hawks was a well-known writer and lecturer. For more than 30 years, he wrote a column on current events for the diocesan paper The Catholic Standard and Times. From 1936-1938, after becoming a domestic prelate, he toured Spain to gather accounts of the Civil War for his column. His efforts on behalf of the Nationalist cause won him decoration from the Spanish government.

The collection contains mostly correspondence. Some photographs and miscellaneous personal materials are also included.

1 box, .2 linear ft.