Catholic Philopatrian Literary Institute records, 1870-1950 (MC 26)

Established in Philadelphia in December 1850 by Father Edward J. Sourin, the Catholic Philopatrian Literary Institute serves, and continues to serve, as a social, literary, and charitable organization. Father Sourin started the organization as a way for Catholic men to continue their educational and cultural development beyond formal schooling.  The Institute frequently sponsored balls, concerts, theatrical productions, and lecture series. Philopatrians quickly became a significant presence within the city as they became involved in both religious and secular affairs.

The collection includes constitutions and by-laws, reports, ledgers, bulletins and newsletters published by the Institute, handwritten histories, and ephemera, such as invitations and circulars.

1 box, .4 linear ft.

Catholic Standard and Times records, 1909-1941 (MC 27)

The Catholic Standard was first published on January 6, 1866 as the official organ of the Diocese of Philadelphia. The Catholic Times first appeared on December 3, 1892. The two papers merged at the end of November 1895 and the first issue of The Catholic Standard and Times was published on December 7, 1895. This paper continues to be published today as the official newspaper of the Archdiocese of Philadelphia.

The collection includes correspondence documenting the business activities and development of the newspaper.

6 boxes,  2.4 linear ft.

Catholic University of America records, 1947-1955 (MC 35)

The majority of the collection is minutes as well as reports of the minutes of Board of Trustee meetings, financial committee materials, and materials concerning the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception.

2 boxes, 0.8 linear ft.

David Lynch papers, 1830-1875 (MC 13)

David Lynch (1793-1860) was an active member of the Democratic Party in Pennsylvania in the mid-19th century and a friend and supporter of President James Buchanan. Appearing to have been politically well-connected, Lynch was granted an auctioneer’s license for the state of Pennsylvania by then Governor George Wolf. Lynch was also appointed Post Master of Pittsburgh. He held this position from 1833-1840.

The bulk of this small collection is comprised of Lynch’s correspondence with other politically active Pennsylvanians and includes letters between Lynch and James Buchanan. Also included are personal papers, pamphlets, religious ephemera, newspaper clippings, photos, and engravings.

0.2 linear ft., 1 box

*Materials in this collection have been digitized and can be viewed at the Digital Library @ Villanova University.

View Finding aid (HTML)